Intro

I've had diplopia, or double vision, all of my life. It's there whether I'm wearing glasses, contacts, or nothing at all. My childhood optometrist said it's because of the extreme difference in vision between my 2 eyes - that my brain can't converge the 2 images because one eye sees so much better than the other. I'm told surgery can't correct it since I don't have a crossed-eye. During my last couple of years of college, I started doing artwork that reflected the double vision. This blog is a brief summary of those 2 years.

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Ins and Outs

Originally written October 2007
I'm realizing more and more how little I know about what I see. For instance, with objects that are very near to me--the left eye's image will be on the right of the right eye's image. For distance objects, the left eye's image will be to the left or almost on top of the right eye's image. The result is that objects viewed from my left eye appear closer together than objects viewed from my right eye. I've never paid much attention to that detail.

It's also interesting being able to see through objects. For instance, one eye sees my hand and the other eye sees a different angle so I'm looking through my hand. It entertains me.

Thankful too. I was thinking today...I'm so thankful that I'm able to see. I'd much rather have my distorted vision than be completely blind. My sight and my sense of touch are the 2 senses that I'd be miserable without.

No comments: