Intro

I've had diplopia, or double vision, all of my life. It's there whether I'm wearing glasses, contacts, or nothing at all. My childhood optometrist said it's because of the extreme difference in vision between my 2 eyes - that my brain can't converge the 2 images because one eye sees so much better than the other. I'm told surgery can't correct it since I don't have a crossed-eye. During my last couple of years of college, I started doing artwork that reflected the double vision. This blog is a brief summary of those 2 years.

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I need more than just a therapist

Originally written September 2007
I started vision therapy a week ago. It's too soon for the double vision to be helped, but the therapy is forcing me to see the double image. I know I'm not really clear on this point...I've ALWAYS seen double, but the therapy is forcing me to SEE it. That probably doesn't make sense to anyone but me. The double image is alway there. It never goes away. But the therapy has gotten me to study what I see...to understand the intricacies of it.
For almost 20 years, I have tried to suppress what I see out of my left eye. Now the therapist is working to reverse that. I suppose it's a good thing, at least it is for drawing class. It's easier to observe and sketch my double vision if I'm not trying so hard to not see it.But it was really interesting driving the other day. It was pouring rain and I was lost. The cascade of rain made my lack of depth perception even more obvious. I had just begun getting used to paying attention to what I see out of both eyes instead of just one, so the double lines, double truck, and double steering wheel kind of messed with my head. I was ready for the song Jesus Take the Wheel because I sure didn't want to be in the driver's seat right then.

No comments: